None of us would ever buy a bad domain name willingly, but quite a lot of companies and individuals new to the Web are unaware of why some names are worse than others. Many have sadly learned that if you choose poorly your dreams for online business success can be over before they’ve begun. So what is a bad domain name, and how can you avoid getting trapped into buying one.
Few Tips for choosing the right Domain Names for your Domain Name Portfolio:
1. Long and confusing domain names like: www.thecheapestsellingwebcams.com
These kind of domain names are:
– not easy to remember,
– can be easily mis-spelled, and
– are a pain to communicate over the phone.
But on the other hand, if your organization name is long and a little confusing, means you have a genuine problem – I would say your problems would rather double with such domain name!
2. Domain names with hyphens like: www.the-cheapest-web-cam-store.com
It is tough to remember and communicate a domain name with hyphens and other forms of punctuation, not to mention you can’t really make it your logo or brand.
Yes, URL Shortener sites are all the rage, but people get lazy after a while and stop bookmarking. Chances of correctly typing in a bad domain name like this one purely from memory is less than none.
You will never live names like these down, so it is worthwhile to give all aspects of a name a good, long thought before registering it.
3. Scammed Re-Registered domain names: Much as you would like to think that there is nobody out there to scam you on your domain name, this is actually quite far from the truth.
Monitoring of traffic screenshots and mis-representing revenue earned on the site or resources required to run it are common ways of persuading you not only to buy a domain name, but to buy it at an inflated price. When buying a premium domain name make sure you do your research.
Here are the reasons why bad domain names are bad news for your website:
1) Having a bad domain name is one way of declaring to the world that you Missed your Desired domain name, and could not do any better. Definitely not good for a first impression.
2) Bad domain names mean a lot of Business Lost due to Mistypes and Misspellings.
3) A bad domain name is usually Not Brandable, which means you would have difficulty promoting your website offline.
If you do a lot of research on your business and how it should be portrayed online, think long and hard before registering or purchasing a domain name. It should tell people what you are all about, but also be easy to remember and brandable.